Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lymph Journal #6


1/11/2012

I woke this morning (a fairly productive sleep night) with two main thoughts.  One was the prayer that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart would be acceptable unto my God.  I’m not sure where this thought is going to take me yet – we’ll have to see.  The second thought was that the time has arrived to begin the “battle” in earnest.  I am so pleased by all who are standing with us in this battle as they ask for great but perfectly doable things of God.

Here’s the more clinical aspects of the day.  Added to the following was some kind of antihistamine that’s had me in rather a chemical haze. I spent about seven hours at the clinic with this.

Rituximab 
Rituximab belongs to a group of drugs called monoclonal antibodies. These are used to try to destroy some types of cancer cells while causing little harm to normal cells. They are designed to recognise certain proteins that are found on the surface of some cancer cells. The monoclonal antibody recognises the protein and locks onto it like a key in a lock. This then triggers the body’s immune system to attack the cancer cells and can sometimes cause the cells to destroy themselves.
Rituximab is used to treat several different types of B-cell lymphoma. It locks onto a protein called CD20, which is found on the surface of one of the main types of normal white blood cells (B-cell lymphocytes). It is also present on the surface of most of the abnormal B-cell lymphocytes that occur in some types of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Rituximab acts by attacking both abnormal (malignant) and normal B-cell lymphocytes. The body can quickly replace any normal white blood cells that are damaged.
http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Chemotherapy/Combinationregimen/R-CHOP.aspx
Tomorrow the actual more toxic chemo begins with a 2-3 hour session.

Like I said there was (and remains – maybe why this doesn’t make perfect sense) a certain chemical sleepiness brought on by some of the additional medicine(s).  The first few hours I pretty much slept but then sleep was overcome by the marmalade lady.

One of the band of chemo brothers and sisters in the room today really held the floor for quite a while.  She was knitting constantly, although the object in question never seemed to grow, and had a very projecting, deep, and flat voice – the sort of voice that can fill a room – and did it ever! She was speaking (in German, of course) about marmalade (read this word with no silent vowels and you’ll come closer to the German pronunciation).  For close to an hour she held court on the nuanced differences between Brombeeren marmalade versus Sauerbrombeeren marmalade versus Sauerkirschen marmalade – I felt like I was stuck in a sound loop for a high school German class and the one word we should know by the end of the lesson was marmalade.

Well I finally fired up the iPod and listened to the David Crowder Bands new and last release Give us Rest.  Appropriate to the day were many of the pieces on the album – thank you for the gift Ida-Mae & Jim.

I wish I could offer something more profound for the lessons of the day but I am still a bit foggy.  Thanks all for the encouragements received – they are moving and welcome.

8 comments:

Ida-Mae said...

Would not have expected to get a good laugh reading today's post, but I think the German Marmalade Lady will have me laughing for a while.

favorite sista said...

What, no rhubarb? Perhaps you can get some recipes from her while you're in the same space.

Mrs. Blumenbaum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Blumenbaum said...

Quite the picture.....people attached to IVs battling the cancer beast and The German Marmalade Lady!

So which marmalade is the best?

Mike and Loralee Hill said...

Praying for you and Diane and Carl! We're just down the street if you need anything. Anytime. :-)

Much love...

Mike & Loralee

You are my God, and I will praise you;
you are my God, and I will exalt you.
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.
(Psalm 118:29)

fivegranos said...

That's one new way to get some German language practice in....
- On a more serious note, you're very much in our thoughts and prayers!
Thank you for sharing your journey through this blog.
Myriam & Gregg

Charlene said...

Hi Russ, sorry you have to go thru this ordeal. Not sure if you know, but I was dx with triple negative breast cancer in Jan. 2010, had a lumpectomy then 20 weeks of chemo/once per wk, adriomycin, cytoxin and taxol. I was also enrolled in a blind study and found out at the end of the 5 mos. that I also got avastin. I begged my doc not to give me the antihistamines due to my allergies to them, he was going to follow protocol but decided to try me w/o the antihistamines and I did just fine. They gave me tons of anti-nausea drugs prior to each tx. I then had 35 daily tx of radiation. So far, so good. They monitor my blood for any increas in cancer markers and will do so every 3 mos. I feel much better now, am gaining my strength back. Trust me Russ, you will get through this too. It's tough but know that all things are thru God and His plan for you is His plan, nobody else's. He is working thru others to give you what you need, His love, strength, faith and hope. Be well my friend, and be well, Diane too. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the docs caring for you. Charlene

M.E. said...

Rhabarber marmalade...I like the sound of that...mit Erdbeeren, of course. Love your writing, Russ! Keep it up. Through the fog, through the dark streets of Loerrach. Keep shining!!