Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lymph Journal # 61 - Maybe, just maybe!


5/1/2012

Today just might be, and I certainly make it my prayer, my last day of chemotherapy – ever.  After this I’ll spend some time still hooked up to IVs but today is the last day of 6 straight days of chemo – High Dose blast-lymphoma-to-kingdom-come (where, by the way, it won’t exist!) chemo.  If the plan works, if complete healing happens this will be it, barring future bouts with some other cancer.

It’s a lovely spring morning.  The air has been freshened (outside at least as we’ll see) by last night’s storms.  It’s May 1 – a holiday in Germany – stores closed, most people off work, the traditional types in our area go hiking today.  I’m temporarily untethered from the IV pole so I hope to get a short walk in on the outside.

Today’s chemo involves a chemical that can wreck your mouth.  The solution is to chomp on ice cubes during the infusion and for a half hour afterwards.  I watched my roommate go through this few days ago.  I’m getting much advance warning from his treatment – he’s going through a stem cell transplant as well.

I’ve read the pamphlets, talked to the docs and nurses and viewed the German DVD about stem cell transplantation.  They’ve been thorough in their descriptions with one glaring exception that we picked up on reading blogs of people who have gone through this.  That exception is the smell.  After today’s chemo, I’ll have a day of “therapy pause”.  Thursday I get my own stem cells back.  Thursday I begin to stink!
Thursday I’ll smell like, of all things, a giant vat of creamed corn.  I know this because of the blogs but I know it better because my roommate got his stem cells back yesterday and it reeks of creamed corn in here.  I hope his aroma passes fairly soon because if both of us are hard at it, it will smell like cleanup day in a bad Midwestern institutional kitchen at the end of Celebrate Local Grain Week.  My body, at least resembles a side dish that one might have with vats of creamed corn. IV fluids plus cortisone have caused me to bounce up around 6kg (13.2lbs) in water weight.  I look and feel like a jello mold (albeit a tough, dry-skinned jello mold). 

But, and this for me is one big but, I have not experienced any nausea.  Wow – seems like much you ever read about in side effects involves nausea and I admit a bit of trepidation regarding it coming into High Dose but so far so good!  If they served creamed corn my record would probably break. (Never been a big fan, I only like corn chowder with lots of bacon in it but I’m real good with sweet corn). Maybe it would be nice to have a few Mid-western ribs to go with the jello and corn!

Just got back from my morning freedom walk.  Made it from the Uniklinik to the Freiburg Rathaus (Rat = advice + Hause = city/town hall) and back in forty-five minutes – not bad!  I’ve taken one anti-nausea pill and the nurse is preparing my bowl of ice so may it begin and, even better, end, really end soon!

Carl and Diane should be by soon for a holiday visit.  Thanks for your prayers.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I wish you could see my mental image of you, ribs, corn and all. It's a sight to behold!
Prayers still, for you all.

Mrs. Blumenbaum said...

I'll carry the corn image to school with me -- it will give me give a giggle as I "teach" 8 year olds in the spring!

Prayers every day all day....

deb mullaney said...

Russ,I am glad to see you still have your humor and wit even while going through this challenge and trying journey.i have held you in my thoughts and prayers many,many days since December. Your blogs are a wonderful combination of superb writing skills, scientific &medical knowledge, humor and dry sarcasm, and most importantly spirituality. Your ability to move adeptly from one realm of thought to another amazes me. Wishing you a successful recovery and better health soon. You have a wonderful attitude &outlook and I know you will come away from this with a brighter future.loving wishes deb mullaney