Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lymph Journal #58 - Regimen underway


4/26/2012

It’s noontime and I’m just now plugged in for the first chemical in this round of High Dose Chemo.  They’ve got some glucose running to clear the way and the toxin starts in fifteen minutes.  There will be about six days of the chemicals that make up the BEAM regimen followed by a day of  “Therapiepause” and then the stem cells make their triumphant return.  Looks like an additional hookup will be used for this, a “central line”.

Upon arrival yesterday I was quickly shipped off for another CT scan.  The results were good with only a spot or two of “regressing” lymphoma.  It’s cleared from liver, lungs, bones, etc.  Hopefully this last round blasts away anything that remains.

The doc (a female doc from Argentina whose accent in English is clearly not the usual “Denglish” we’ve come to know from living among Germans and working at English Camps) just popped in with a final warning about today’s med – Carmustin.  It is dissolved in ethanol before infusion so she wanted to let me know that I might be feeling the effects of a few drinks.  Well, it is after noon here so maybe that’s why they waited until now.

Yesterday’s check in also included the, now familiar, octopus like EKG.  I love this innovation.  If all of these tests I’ve had over he past two months had been done with old-school adhesive pickups I’d be worried about getting rid of mounds of lint stuck to my chest and ankles (rather than being continually startled by the lack of hair that characterizes them now).

I traded my first roommate in this morning for a new one.  Both were/are pretty much monolingual German speakers so I’ve had to step up my game at meal times.  Of course, one can convey many nuances of why the food is unappetizing without having to express it linguistically.  My first roommate will be coming back in fifteen days for another round of chemo so I expect we’ll meet again.  He’s also a football fan so he enjoyed watching the Munich-Madrid game last night – we both slept well with the outcome for the “home” team.

Well, “lunch” just arrived and “drinks” are about to be served via IV so I best indulge.

So, lunch was not bad – sort of a veal hamburger with gravy, noodles, broccoli and raspberry yoghurt.  I didn’t have to get out the salt-shaker I smuggled in and I even ate some of my veggies.  I know I’ve been sort of ambivalent regarding the food but this one could be gladly repeated – and that’s not just the IV talking!

Correction on the new roomie – he’s not bad in English as a former IBM software engineer retired at exactly the same time he was diagnosed with the cancer that has him here for a stem cell transplant as well.  We seem to be getting on well.

Time to kick back.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Haha - God hears. I'll keep up the prayers for your food - glad lunch wasn't awful.

Russ and Diane Kraines said...

Thanks for the prayers Jennifer- and to so many others that are praying!
~Diane