Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lymph Journal # 53 The next steps


4/11/2012

It’s time for some information updating for those who are curious. 

I spent last Wednesday through Saturday back at the Uniklinik Freiburg for the second round of chemotherapy aimed at preparing my system for the harvesting of stem cells from my own blood supply.  All things considered I tolerated it well with no overt (actually losing lunch) nausea.  Here’s a shot of the chemo cocktails hanging on my IV pole.

Cocktail Time!

This week I began self-injections of meds to boost my white blood counts in preparation for a “good harvest”.  Blood tests are scheduled to monitor levels and optimize the harvest schedule.  Timing is fairly crucial on this – the aim is to harvest when the stem cells are being “pushed” by the bone marrow into the blood supply but before they actually do all their differentiation and become what they will morph into.  Harvesting (aka apheresis) is done through running the blood out one arm through the device that selects out the stem cells and then running what’s left back into the other arm.  The good stuff is further treated to optimize it and then frozen for later transplantation.


Not actually me.

April 25 is my tentative entry date for the three-week stay at the Uniklinik.  Here the high dose chemo will be applied and I will hopefully say my last farewell to lymphoma lurking in my body.  I hope that my success in tolerating chemo so far bodes well for minimal side effects here but this stuff will be pretty heavy duty.  (BEAM is the protocol for those in the chemo know). A few days later the stem cells are given back and we wait out the aftereffects of chemo and look for the blood supply to recover health as reds, whites and platelets morph from the stem cell boost.  When levels are healthy I should be eligible for release. 

I have no sure idea of how I’ll feel after release.  The likelihood is that I’ll be pretty weak and need to work on rebuilding energy, mass and overall health.  We’re trusting that part of that time will be spent back in Rhode Island.  We know so many family and folk from there that have supported us through this and we want to see them albeit in a relaxed way.  We don’t anticipate the “usual” Home Assignment of formal speaking engagements and frequent appointments – I really don’t know what my strength level will be - but we’ve got kids, grandchildren, Moms and other kith and kin to catch up with face to face. 

Yesterday broke fair and lovely and, despite hearty rains by evening, the morning was beautiful.  I was not up to extended physical activity but morning errands gave us a chance to drive to the top of the hill nearby and enjoy again the beauty of this region magnified by the newness of spring.  It was even clear enough for an elusive Alpenblick (view of the distant – 2-3 hours by car - Swiss Alps visible under certain clear atmospheric conditions).  
Alps visible!
Taking turns on the Alpenblick bench - Diane with cherry tress and France in the background, me suffering from post chemo bloat.

 

2 comments:

favorite sista said...

Glad the cartoon sketch wasn't you else we'd wonder what the chemo was REALLY doing! thanks for the explanation as many have been asking me for information that I have litle knowledge of. RI awaits if God wills.

Mrs. Blumenbaum said...

I agree with favorite sista regarding the cartoon!

.....love the view of the Swiss Alps.....

prayers continue....what a privilege to pray!