Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Boy and His Lunch

The boy and his lunch 5-31-08

I have heard the story of the boy and his lunch several times. I have even heard sermons on it. I love the story of the boy who was there with Jesus and His disciples when it was lunchtime and there were thousands of others there with no lunch. What did he have? Two fishes and fives pieces of bread. He was a fortunate young man- he had all of that. While the rest of the people had followed Jesus to this remote place to hear Him speak and learn more and more of what He had to say. They weren’t aware of the time- they just wanted to hear more. Maybe His words became their “bread” so they didn’t need anything else.

The disciples were concerned. They needed to feed this crowd. One finds a boy with a lunch. Well, I read this recently in my devotions. I am the person with the lunch. I like my lunch. I have been looking forward to it. My stomach is growling and I’m looking for a quiet place to sit and enjoy my lunch- alone. Why would I give my lunch to Jesus? At that moment, it feels like the most valuable thing in the world and it is mine! Why would I let Him take it? I am hungry! What is He going to do with it? I am afraid!

Well, I have to reflect on what Jesus does with that lunch- that is offered freely to Jesus. Jesus takes it and blesses it and then turns and feed thousands and thousands of others. Just like that!

So what is Jesus asking of me? I have a “lunch”. Right now my lunch is my gifts and abilities- I organize people and events. I like doing that! I like getting to know people and seeing what their gifts are and plugging them into those events. That’s something I can offer Jesus. Right now, the call is to do that in Germany with English Camps. (I could take time to tell you how that call came to be- but that’s for another day) Jesus is asking for my lunch!

Well, that means I have to give it to Him doesn’t it? I have to give up my treasures: my home in the nice neighborhood, my secure lifestyle and employment, my church family and the people so dear, my time with my Mom, lunch with my sisters, my time with my big girls, my time sitting on the floor reading a book or rolling a ball (or in Evan’s case a toy car) with my grandsons. I give up all that is easy, all that is familiar.

Along with that, I have to give up my fears: where will we live? How will we pay for it? What will happen to my family here, will my friends forget me? Will my grandsons forget me? Then living in Germany: I look forward to living in our town because I like to walk and I’ll walk everywhere- to work, to the grocery store, to school, to church, - everywhere. But it never fails that someone driving by in a car will stop and ask for directions. Do I look German? I am wearing my white New Balance shoes- telltale sign that I am “American”- but they always seem to pick me and I trust it is because of my friendly face and they ask…something. I have no idea what these people are saying!

I digress.

I am reminded we all have a lunch. Jesus is asking us for our lunch. He is fully trustworthy! He will take our lunch if we offer it. He will bless it and it will be multiplied – for His glory. Pray for our family as we freely offer “our lunch” – our lives, our gifts, our talents- that He would take and multiply it for His glory!

Blessings!

Diane Kraines

1 comment:

pastorhoward said...

Dear Diane,

Thanks for the insight on the feeding of the 5,000. I'm doing a series on hospitality in order to get the congregation ready for English as a Second Language in the fall. My passage Sunday is 1Kings 17 where the widow was asked to give up her last lunch for a foreigner who was reputed to be the cause of the draught! Likewise, not an easy request. May God richly bless you and Russ as you surrender what you have and see God bring incredible good out of it.
Howard