Monday, January 21, 2013

Checking up and in.

-->
January 21, 2013

Well it has been a long break taken from this work of reflection related to my acquaintance with lymphoma over the past year.  A few weeks ago was the anniversary of the accurate diagnosis of THRLBCL.  I’m beginning to have difficulty remembering the exact words and order the initials stand for – whether that’s middle age, chemo brain remnants or just inattention due to returned health I don’t know.

The anniversary had a sad overtone for us in that it fell on the day of my brother-in-law’s funeral.  Norm was the best of men who had fought his battle with cancer for over two years.  He passed over confident of his future in God’s good grace and Norm’s now won that battle in a different way than I but we feel the cost to his dear family and to us.  Norm, you are missed, you will be remembered and we will meet again.

Today was my six-month check-up (8 months out from the transplant) with the Freiburg doc.  All is good.  He said that I was truly a “cancer survivor”.  I told him that I’ve had this strange experience over the past six months of feeling as if I were growing younger.  This is, I presume, the effect of returning to the strength I had before ever being attacked by lymphoma – and we really don’t know when that started – and the recovery of my body from the assault of high dose chemo and a stem cell transplant. 

In a stairwell at the clinic today, I passed a nurse I recognized as a regular from my long stay last spring.  I greeted her effusively but there was no recognition there.  What was I thinking – why would she recognize me bouncing down the stairs back in “fighting trim” and covered in scalp and facial hair.  I wonder if she has more that a few moments like these.  I got a good chuckle out of it.

But right now I’m under the weather with my first cold in over a year – not feeling younger right now.

We have had a great fall and early winter.  I’m back to teaching full time.  Diane continues to oversee both existing and expanding opportunities in Language Services for TeachBeyond (she’ll be attending leadership meetings in Miami in a few days and is right now with our kids and grandkids back home on her way).  Our daughter Hannah is engaged to a godly young man and has but three semesters left to graduate with her Nursing degree.  I had the privilege of speaking to a college age group of about 100 in Constance, Germany a few weeks ago (reflecting on the past year).  We continue to rejoice in what God has called us to as we spend our time walking and living by faith.

No comments: